Throughout my years of wearing make-up, lipsticks were the only things that never every really got me excited or interested. One of the reasons being that I always thought my lips were so undefined and fugly, thus, it was best to not emphasize them. In addition, I was prone to dry lips so many lipsticks wouldn't work for me as they would turn all flaky after the top layer of the lipstick evaporates causing "crumbs" to form around my lips which are one of the most unsightly things in the world!
As a result, I was a lipstain + gloss kind of girl. I needed the stain for pigment, and gloss for moisture and shine. Because I have naturally pale lips, I need the extra touch of color from the stains.
When I was at the MAC store last week, the latest collection of Sheen Supreme lipsticks caught my attention. This is a collection of 14 permanent colors with a brand new formulation.
* Supremely Confident – Pale nude
* Bare Again – Pinky neutral beige
* Can’t Get Enough – Beige neutral
* Behave Yourself – Light blue pink
* Gotta Dash! – Pale clean coral
* Full Speed – Bright clean yellow pink
* Insanely It – Watermelon pink
* Ultra Darling – Mid-tone yellow pink
* New Temptation – Vivid blue red
* Quite the Thing! – Deep blue plum
* Impressive – Neutral gilded plum
* Look at Her! – Metallic copper
* Can’t Resist – Golden purplish red
* Good to be Bad – Deep burgundy
"Gloss is good but there is nothing quite as wonderfully, worldly, cinematic as a lipstick- and they're coming back! We've updated formulas to make it all plausible. Sheen supreme is the combination of the strong, sensually saturated color of, say, Tilda Swinton's I Am Love Milanese lipstick, leavened with that light feel and clear vibrancy the see though sheen of a modern New York City Girl Gloss. Imagine no muddy undertones gliding in pearl or creme finish, moisturizing with no sticky/tacky feel. It's a new medium, with MAC in the lead. this is retro/modern-and devastatingly chic."
According to MAC, the lipstick has strong, saturated color but comes with a modern glossed sheen, and these are moisturizing (but without tackiness). All these properties made them enticing enough for me to swipe a tester over my lips and I immediately fell in love with them. I ended up picking up 2 of the 14 colors. Had initially only bought Impressive, but after using it for a day, I loved it so much that I went back to the MAC store to pick out Bare Again!
Both colors were very similar, except that Impressive was more pinkish as compared to Bare Again which is more peachy nude.
- Very pigmented, without being patchy and tacky
- Extremely moisturizing. Does not dry out the lips after having it on for an hour or so like most lipsticks do
- Glossy without looking like you drooled all over your lips
- An excellent cross between a lipstick and a gloss
- Long-wearing. Even after eating and drinking with this lipstick, some of the color would still stay on the lips evenly which cleverly doubles up as a lipstain
- Permanent MAC color - meaning you can replace yours when you are done with it!
- A little goes a long way, does not need a thick layer to have the perfect pout
- Because it is so creamy, you have to be careful not to swirl out too much, risking the stick losing it's shape
- The shape of a new stick taking the shape of the entire opening. Mine chipped the moment I opened it. Would be better if it was shaped like a normal lipstick
The MAC Sheen Supreme has made me a Lipstick convert. I am loving it. I have been using it 2 days in a row and still have soft moisturized lips.
- Product: 5/5
- Packaging: 3/5
- Ease of Use: 5/5